October 2013 - The Westerly Winds / 100+ Women / Call for Nominations
Friends of the Braumart is planning another great event:
The Westerly Winds Big Band, a swing band from Marquette, will perform at the Braumart on Sunday, October 27!
An anonymous sponsor has made it possible to bring the sweet sounds of swing to Iron Mountain.
Comprised of eighteen talented musicians, the Westerly Winds Big Band specializes in jazz from the Swing Era of the 1930’s and 1940’s and also plays more recent selections from the big band charts.
Tickets: Adults - $10, Seniors - $8, and Students 18 and under – only $1
We’re hoping to see a lot of students at this show! Student musicians will appreciate the skill and teamwork it takes to play in a band, and the concert will show them that they can keep on playing after high school! Tickets are available at the Dickinson Area Partnership, at the door, and on the FOTB website. The show starts at 2:00 PM at the historic Braumart Theatre on East B Street in Iron Mountain. All proceeds will benefit Friends of the Braumart.
100+ Women Who Care:
Amazing, humbling news: on August 12, 100+ Women Who Care of Dickinson County awarded their quarterly donation to Friends of the Braumart – a donation of over $19,000! This donation will go to our building purchase fund. A huge THANK YOU goes out to the 360 members of this group for supporting our cause and working towards positive changes in our community.
Two board positions will be up for election in October. Do you know someone who would like to help create a home for the arts? Are you the person who wants to be an integral part of this project as we move forward? We are accepting nominations for people to serve on the Board of Directors. The term of office will be three years (November 2013 to October 2016). If you would like to nominate someone for the Board, or if you are interested in nominating yourself, please submit the candidate’s responses to the following three questions by Monday, October 14.
1. Why are you interested in serving on the Friends of the Braumart Board of Directors?
2. What skills and experience do you bring to the Board?
3. What do you feel are the biggest challenges facing Friends of the Braumart in the next three years?
You may email your responses to email@example.com or mail them to Friends of the Braumart at PO Box 156, Iron Mountain, MI 49801. Please limit your responses to approximately 300 words total. More information is available on our website. Our Annual Membership Meeting will be 7:00 PM, October 15, at the Braumart (our office is on the second floor). Nominations for the Board will be accepted at the meeting. After the October 15 meeting, nominations will be closed and, if an election is necessary, a ballot with the candidates’ responses to the questions above will be mailed to all current FOTB members.
FOTB was busy this past August:
· Keith Martin, a 42 year old legally blind athlete who grew up in Channing, rode his bicycle around the Upper Peninsula miles to raise funds for Friends of the Braumart and to develop an awareness of macular degeneration. He rode 877 miles and raised over $3400! You can still show your support for Keith by making a pledge on our website.
· The first inaugural Mostra d’Arte (Italian for art exhibition) was held on August 13-15. Sixteen artists submitted their original artwork to this juried show, and prizes were awarded by the jurors and by the voting public. The show was held in the Downtown Plaza. One day, we’ll host events like this in a newly-remodeled Braumart Arts Center!
· FOTB hosted a fundraising concert and auction on August 16th. Frog County Live was there to interview Keith Martin after his amazing ride, the crowd enjoyed free Italian hors d’oeuvres and perused the fantastic auction items, and then the auditorium filled with the sweet sounds of jazzy-Gypsy swing from the Madison-based trio, Harmonious Wail.
· We had a booth at the Dickinson County Fair, where we sold our food-and-gas raffle tickets and promoted our project. We received a lot of positive comments from the public.
Food and gas raffle:
Everyone needs food and almost everyone needs gas, right? FOTB is holding a raffle drawing every week for a year and the weekly winner receives a $100 Econo Food gift certificate AND a $100 Holiday Stations gift certificate! The drawings have begun but tickets are still available. Raffle tickets WERE $50 (less than one dollar per chance to win) but, now that the weekly drawings are underway, the price will be reduced by $1 every week. You can purchase tickets on the FOTB website, at Frog Country Radio (West J Street) or from a board member. We are limited to 500 tickets sold, so buy yours now and get as many chances as possible to win $200.
Our Mission Statement:
The mission of Friends of the Braumart is to develop the historic Braumart Theater into a dynamic center which embraces all arts and artists and provides cultural, educational and economic stimulus for the area, and to provide a social and cultural gathering space.
Request for Donations:
We appreciate your membership in Friends of the Braumart and we always appreciate donations towards the Theater Redevelopment Feasibility Study and the Building Fund. Please mail any additional donations to: Friends of the Braumart, PO Box 156, Iron Mountain, MI 49801.
Our membership year ends December 31. If you decide to send a check at this time, please let us know if you are making a donation or if you want to apply it to 2014 membership dues. Thank you!
FOTB Board of Directors: Jinx Brew · Duane Peck · Audrey Smith · Barbara Kramer · John Estes Nelson Hassell · Tim Haagensen · Theodore Izzo